Title: Director of Community Partnerships and Education
Reports to: General Director
Classification: Full time, Exempt
Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000 commensurate with experience, plus benefits (paid vacation, sick days, health insurance, SIMPLE IRA plan with company match)
The mission of the New Orleans Opera Association (NOOA) is to enrich the lives of all people by producing opera of the highest artistic quality and provide educational opportunities through traditional and innovative approaches. The Director of Community Partnerships and Education plays a critical role in the realization of the company’s goals and the overall growth of the New Orleans Opera.
New Orleans Opera Association is celebrating its 78th season in 2020-2021 and is proud to continue the legacy of producing opera in America’s First City of Opera, a tradition which began when Andre Getry’s Sylvain premiered in New Orleans on April 22, 1796. Each year, NOOA presents operatic productions that feature both classical and contemporary works. Beyond the stage, the key component of NOOA’s mission is its commitment to outreach and education programs in the Greater New Orleans area.
If you are passionate about the power of the arts to change people’s lives, understand the unique culture of the city of New Orleans as it relates to the arts and education, and have an understanding of both project budgets and organizational financials, we want to hear from you.
Core duties include:
- Work with teachers, students and schools to develop opera-related curriculum and materials that meet Common Core Standards and state-approved academic guidelines.
- Develop and maintain a network of relationships that will result in substantial access to schools, with emphasis in under-served or low-income communities.
- Network in the educational community to enhance New Orleans Opera’s relationship with school boards, school administrators, and teachers, as well as furthering relationships and collaborations in the community’s multicultural organizations.
- Foster partnerships with other arts organizations and community groups through programming that offers opportunities for all people to access and engage in the art form of opera.
- Build relationships with diverse communities in order to develop specific, targeted programming to promote the art form of opera through engagement and education.
- Program management of all programs and events related to the Education Department.
This position is a good fit for someone who:
- Has experience in arts education, ideally with 2-3 years experience in public schools
- Has strong familiarity with the New Orleans arts and education sectors
- Has demonstrated ability to build effective community collaborations and partnerships
- Is a strong and compelling speaker, capable of tailoring remarks to diverse audiences of varying age groups
- Is passionate about the power of the arts to change the lives of children and adults
- Is sensitive to the needs of individuals and groups from a variety of backgrounds and beliefs
- Understands the complexity of financial planning and adhering to budgets
- Has strong project and program management skills
- Possesses computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office
- Knows how to work within a team to accomplish goals
The New Orleans Opera is willing to teach
- Specifics about the operatic art form
- Database skills related to the Choice platform
- NOOA policies and procedures
At New Orleans Opera, we are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and we are an equal opportunity employer. NOOA will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to eliminating barriers to access and equity and see a diverse workforce as a key step toward this goal. We encourage candidates who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQ+, otherwise-abled, and other underrepresented identities to apply. All applications will receive consideration for employment.
- Send cover letter and resume (Word or PDF format only) to email@example.com
- No phone calls, please.